Sunday 4 November 2012

Life for the mells tribe!!

This is so so clever (blog stuff that is..not me doing it!)..I am not a writer nor have I ever done anything like this before, well, unless you count the endless diaries I've written in my lifetime. Ah..they would be funny to read..I'll get them out at some point and perhaps share one or two bits.

So, I decided to join the blogging world after the latest shattering blow.



Rebekah rang last monday, the cancer is back...my amazing sister and lifelong friend facing the future with a limit on life. Who knows what that means or for how long we her. Devastated is an understatement. I'd never really allowed myself to think about whether it would come back. I foolishly believed that perhaps this was 'our time'. Afterall...had we not been through enough and had our share of rough times? 

Life doesn't see it that way...with so much of it there are no choices...you get what your given and somehow whatever the hand, you have to try to love, laugh, give to others and enjoy the amazing blessings that are around us. 
I've thought alot about healing and believe that miracles can and do happen...yes, we'd all like one of those!!!
Some aren't healed though, and many people have been touched by situations where God did not heal despite the faithful prayers of His people. It is not always Gods will to heal us physically. Ultimately (since we all have to die of something) our full physical healing awaits us in heaven..where there will be no more pain, sickness, disease, suffering or death!! YIPPEE..that would be amazing! I remember at my mum's funeral some years ago we sang the song..'there's a place where the streets shine' What fabulous assurance, to know thats where we're going....but come on everyone...lets be real too!

I am 40yrs old, mummy of two...have watched grandparents, both parents, nephew, aunties and uncles die one by one. I've had a husband walk out on me and our two adopted children and now I am facing this. Yes, I have fear and sadness...but thats because I am real and honest and I so don't want to lose my sister. It doesn't mean that those fears won't be conquered or that I believe any less than anyone else...
I've no doubt that some reading this will think I lack faith or hope....I don't! I have oodles of it and I KNOW that God is bigger and better than all things.  
I've thought for some time about journals, memories and the general make up of life and after hearing her news earlier in the week, have decided quickley to start 'getting it down' in some form.
So join me in this chapter of our lives, it may not always be pretty but it will be real and honest and full of positive stuff too, you may even laugh at some of the stories and memories I have.
There has never been a 'me' without Rebekah and vice versa..40 years we have shared so far and what a journey.
Its so hard to know where to start as so many things spring to mind.
I love this picture....mainly because for once I look a bit more photogenic than Rebekah does!!!!!! This doesn't happen often...this was taken on a beautiful beach in Portugal, we'd met up with Brendan and Elspeth (old friends of Rebekahs)..it was magical, the sun was setting, the waves were crashing onto the rocks and the bugs were out in force!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Sarah. Realism AND faith are a powerful combination. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, that's beautiful! It is a privilege to know you both!!! Thank you for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, this is special, as are you and Rebekah. Will be praying for all the Mells in days to come, starting tonight at the CCF Life Group at Ruth's. Joanna x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah - just want you to know I think of you often and am praying for you at this tough time. So great to hear you're holding on to God through all the challenges. Looking forward to reading more. love Claire

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sarah I know you are an amazing sister & friend to Rebekah and she is so thankful you are by her side in this journey holding her hand, making her laugh ... and dare I mention sorted that well needed glass of G&T ;-) Looking forward to seeing you girls soon for some FUN! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know what Sarah, a bit of reality is sometimes what we need. Don't let anyone try to change who you are because you are unique. Love ya Lots.
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello. I was quite close to Rebekah a few years back and I have been out of the country for a long time (over 10 years). I have no way of getting in touch with her (I was looking for her facebook account when I came across this blog). I was very upset to hear what had happened. Do you mind if I ask on her well being at the moment - it would mean a great deal to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete